Why 1:1 Learning?
1:1 Learning aims to provide a personalised experience for students, where active learning with technology takes place in school and at home. It also caters to the needs of our modern learners who as digital natives, enjoy interacting with media, active participation and application of knowledge and social interaction online or offline with their peers. As part of the 1:1 Learning, students will use a Chromebook for self-directed and collaborative learning to meet these needs.
What Does This Mean for My Child?
Students are required to use a Chromebook for their learning throughout the 4 to 5 years of education in Meridian Secondary School. They are expected to bring their Chromebooks home so that they can continue to learn independently and complete their assignments at home.
Students will carry out 1:1 Learning via various platform, such as MOE Student Learning Space (SLS), Nearpod and Google Suite for Education. They may also create notes digitally using the Chromebook.
Why a Chromebook?
A Chromebook is a computing device running Chrome OS as its operating system. The Chromebook is designed for use primarily while connected to the internet, with most of its applications and data residing online.
The Chromebook is chosen for the following reasons:
- Price: cost significantly lesser than the average laptop
- Security: Strong management and control access and content through Chromebook Management Console
- Weight: Chromebooks are lightweight, that are portable and easy to carry around
- Battery: long battery life
- Speed: Chromebooks can power up and be ready to use within seconds
How do I get a Chromebook?
The school has openly invited major electronics retailers and established vendors to provide Chromebooks for sale at parents’ convenience. Sec 1 students and parents will be able to purchase the selected models through an online portal:
Booths will be set up during the Sec 1 Registration Day on 23 Dec 2019 and CCA Open House on 17 Jan 2020.
Does the current vendor provide any alternative payment?
For alternate payment, please email your request to GSA (email@example.com) or contact them at 62892072.
May a student opt-out of using a learning device?
Our teachers have designed 1:1 Learning lessons for all the subjects, to enable Active Learning to take place in class. Students without a Chromebook will not be able to enjoy and participate in the learning effectively.
We have an existing Macbook/Windows laptop. Can my child use a Macbook/Windows laptop for the 1:1 Learning?
The school will be using the Chromebook Management Console (CMC) and management software to control students’ online access. This be done only on Chromebooks and is the school’s effort to create a safe learning environment for the students. Hence, we strongly encourage all students to use a Chromebook as their learning device. Using different devices will lead to issues in managing the learning in the classroom.
Do we need to purchase it from the vendors sourced by the school?
Parents may purchase the Chromebooks via online or from other retailers and should not feel compelled to purchase from the school’s recommended vendors.
The Chromebook must follow or is better than the following recommended specifications:
- Chromebooks running on Chrome OS
- Display Screen: High resolution with minimum size of 11.6”
- Weight: 1.4 kg or less
- Battery: Last a minimum of 9 hours with active usage
- Processor: Intel® Celeron® dual/quad-core processor
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Storage: Storage with 32GB eMMC
- Connectivity: Built-in 802.11a/b/g/n/ac with Bluetooth® 4.1 compatibility
- Camera: Dual HD wide view cameras (1MP above display/5MP “worldview camera” above keyboard)
- Capabilities to support for Android apps via the Google Play™ Store
- Ports: USB 3.0 x 2 and USB 3.1 Type C x 2 and MicroSD card reader slot
- Devices suitable for Student – [Ruggedized, able to withstand minor drop, spill-resistant]
- Touchscreen model with stylus
- Chrome Education Upgrade License
Parents to email firstname.lastname@example.org, attention to Jenny :
Subject: Purchase of Chrome Education Upgrade License.
Attention: JennyIndicate the school name, student name and class, device model they purchased.
License will be $65 per device. Payment instruction will be communicated through email and it will be via bank transfer.
Students are to purchase the Chromebooks by 19 January 2020 so that they can enjoy the 1:1 Learning when Term 2 begins.