About Character & Citizenship Development
Character & Citizenship Development in MSS
Character & Citizenship Education
In Meridian Secondary, we emphasise the importance of nurturing Meridians to be people of good character and useful citizens. Through the programmes and structures in place, we aim to inculcate values and build competencies to develop them to be good individuals and useful citizens.
CCE is central to the 21st Century Competencies Framework. It emphasises the interconnectedness of the core values, social and emotional competencies and civic literacy, global awareness and cross-cultural skills that are critical for character and citizenship development of our pupils. CCE shifts our focus from programmes and individual endeavours to a common purpose.
Our Character and Citizenship Education (CCE) syllabus make learning more meaningful and relevant. Students will learn values through three overarching ideas – Identity, Relationships and Choices. In addition, CCE Guidance Modules—Education and Career Guidance (ECG), Sexuality Education and Cyber Wellness (CW)—will address students’ social-emotional and developmental needs. Our CCE programmes in Meridian Secondary School are aligned to the seven themes.
The seven themes are:
- The Leader Within
- Family Our Foundation
- Being a Positive Influence
- Thinking Heart, Feeling Mind
- U and I in Community
- This is Home, Truly
- The World in Singapore
- are premised on the principle that the teaching and learning of sound values and attitudes are necessary for good citizenship. Hence CCE lessons help students build strength of character so that they can be positive influences to others
- highlight the interconnectedness in the learning and application of values, knowledge and skills across different contexts and situations in life
- effect life situations and experiences that students go through as they progress through secondary school
At the end of the students’ education in Meridian Secondary School, they will have achieved all the eight CCE Learning Outcomes. The eight CCE Learning Outcomes are:
- acquire self-awareness and apply self-management skills to achieve personal well-being and effectiveness
- act with integrity and make responsible decisions that uphold moral principles
- acquire social awareness and apply interpersonal skills to build and maintain positive relationships based on mutual respect
- be resilient and have the ability to turn challenges into opportunities
- take pride in our national identity, have a sense of belonging to Singapore and be committed to nation-building
- value Singapore’s socio-cultural diversity, and promote social cohesion and harmony
- care for others and contribute actively to the progress of our community and nation
- reflect on and respond to community, national and global issues, as an informed and responsible citizen
Community and Youth Leadership
The Student Leadership Development (SLD) Framework is part of the wider CCE Framework based on the belief that every student in Meridian Secondary School can lead and seeks to instill in every student the values and skills that would help them develop into effective leaders who are altruistic in their service to the school and the larger community. Students are equipped with leadership skills and given various opportunities to lead and serve the school at all levels.
The school also incorporates the attainment of SEL competencies through a myriad of structures and programmes from the integral collaboration of the various departments in the school. This allows our students to see the connectivity in their learning and also greater opportunities for social-emotional learning and life skills application.
The strong sense of shared purpose and responsibility in the character development of our students is not only shared by our staff but also by our key stakeholders of the community with whom we had forged strong partnerships and alliance with to achieve our character development goals.